Monday, March 29, 2010

like a koi in a frozen pond

would facebook tell me if a friend was dead?
or would I have to tell facebook?
would facebook presume someone's death after a certain period of inactivity?
would I have to write on obituary on his/her wall, and his/her friends would do the rest by sharing the element?
is posthumous tagging of videos and photos ethically correct?
is there an application to help manage one's profile upon departure - or can you at least set up an auto-reply for people posting stuff or sending messages?
would it be appropriate to list it as a past event, and would somebody invite me to the funeral by creating a new one?
would there be a random number of usual suspects liking the element?
does real death exist in one's digital life?

3 comments:

  1. as far as I know, it's against facebook's rules to keep "alive" a profile for someone who's dead. I guess this should be reported and the profile canceled, though I don't know how.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a facebook friend of a friend committed suicide over one year ago. people still post comments on his wall, completely unaware..(still, I don't think is the digital world that's failing us..)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't speak of a failure either. it is just strange to imagine (and to observe) how one's digital self can survive the real one, and how completely ineffective can this kind of medium be in a person's absence, if it's the only one people rely on (is it true for any medium?).

    and who would then be responsible for violating facebook's rules?

    ReplyDelete